Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Birthday Dinner - The Scholars Inn

My birthday was last Tuesday and I decided to go to The Scholars Inn restaurant with a few friends for dinner. This is one of my favorite places to eat and drink, so I knew that I would not be disappointed.

I have had many of the items on the menu at The Scholars Inn, but I had never ordered the fillet before. It had been highly recommended to me by a few friends so I decided to go for it. I knew that this would be a quality cut of meat - I ordered it rare.

It was not the most visually pleasing dish when it initially came out. The steak was served on a bed of macaroni and cheese and there was virtually no color on the plate. Many of the dishes at The Scholars Inn are have a very complex appearance with beautiful colors, but this was extremely simplistic.

When I cut into the steak I could see that it was cooked perfectly. Just a crust of brown on the outside hiding the juicy red center. The flavor of the steak was wonderful, but surprisingly, even better when mixed with the macaroni underneath. The macaroni had a smoky flavor that when combined with the juices of the steak made the entire experience delicious. Another friend of mine who had also ordered the fillet was amazed at the flavor combination as well.

I have to say that I cannot remember eating a steak this good within the past few years. This meal combined with my favorite drink, Knob Creek Bourbon on the rocks, made for an absolutely amazing birthday dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment