Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lamb Kabobs

Since we are nearing summertime, I thought I would do my first in a series of posts about grilling. There are few methods of food preparation that are as satisfying as cooking over an open flame - it is so primal and hedonistic.

For those of you who do not have room for a grill outside or just don't have one, you can also grill over your stovetop with a grill pan. I purchased a cast iron one from Cost Plus for around $20. However, if you can have a grill, do it! It's worth it. I bought the little Weber (pictured) for under $75 and it does the trick just as well as the more expensive versions.

One of my big inhibitions when I was shopping for a grill was the aged old argument between which is better, gas or charcoal. My research on the matter was inconclusive. It seems that gas is easier because it does not require you to light the charcoal every time. However, some say that using gas changes the taste of the food. I honestly think it is personal preference and wonderful food can be made with either.

Ina Garten's Lamb Kabobs with Rachael Welden-Smth's (not Ray's) Tabouleh

So last night in the off and on rain, I decided to make lamb kabobs. This time I used one of Ina Garten's (also known as the Barefoot Contessa) recipes. The night before I made the kabobs, I marinated the lamb in some olive oil, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the marinade, I look forward to creating my own next time

Once the lamb is done marinating, the dish is really fast to prepare. To assemble the kabobs, I used store-bought steel skewers (you can also you wooden skewers - if you do, soak them for about 30 minutes first). Cut roma tomatoes because I did not have cherry tomatoes, small sweet peppers and red onions. I then placed each ingredient on the skewers in an alternating manner. The kabobs were done in about 6 minutes - but cook them to your personal preference (Ina said it would take longer, but my grill was pretty hot).

One method to tell if how done meat without cutting into it is by poking it. If the meat is spongy feeling, it is raw. If it is springy it is well done. Medium is in between. If you open your hand and touch the fleshy part between your thumb and forefinger, that is rare. If you make a fist and touch that same part, this is well done.

Rachael's Tabouleh

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 Cup Mint
  • 1/4 Cup Parsley
  • 1 Tomato
  • 1/2 Onion
  • 1.25 Cups Whole Wheat Couscous
  • A dash Rice Wine Vinegar
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 2 Lemons' juice
  • 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
Bring a pot of water to boil. Put in the couscous in a heat resistant bowl and once boiling, pour the water until it is just covering the couscous. Cover the couscous and water until it absorbs (about 5 minutes). In the meantime....

Cut the onion, tomato, parsley, and mint. Once the couscous has absorbed the water, fluff it with a fork and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment