Monday, May 3, 2010

Ceramic Knives

About a year ago, I was in a kitchen store and came across a ceramic knife display. At this point I did not know too much about this product, but the store placed the knife by a piece of soft fruit and invited patrons to try it out.

Anybody who has experience with ceramic knives knows that I was impressed by the result. The cut was extremely sharp and allowed for great precision. I looked into getting the knife, but it was pretty expensive. The particular brand I experimented with was Kyocera (a leader in the industry). I searched online for a good deal on the knives, but still was not able to find a good enough deal to pull the trigger.

Then I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and made a find: a set of Silvermark ceramic knives for under $30 dollars. I think this would likely cost $100 for a similar Kyocera product. The Knives are pretty much identical to the more expensive counterpart, but just off-brand. I purchased the product, and l love it!

The brilliance of ceramic knives is that they never lose their sharpness. Theoretically the one millionth cut will be as sharp as the third cut. However, they are delicate and are prone to chipping. If you have a tendency of dropping cooking utensils, then ceramic knives are probably not for you. However, if this is not a problem, I would highly recommend looking into this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment