Saturday, May 22, 2010

Greyhounds

As a disclaimer, I would not define myself as a huge drinker. But, like most, I do enjoy a nice cocktail from time to time. When I do drink, I usually go for quality spirits over quantity. I find that it really makes a difference the next day.

Last night I met up with a few friends at a local bar and was asked what I wanted. 90% of the time, this question would end with two words: vodka tonic. Sometimes, however, I prefer something different. After a few moments of thought, I look around the table and noticed that my friend had ordered a greyhound. I followed suit.

Greyhounds are a perfect drink for the summer. The drink is quite simple -- vodka and grapefruit juice. Ordinarily, I gravitate towards savory rather than sweet tastes, but the citrus cuts the vodka perfectly and it makes for a refreshing beverage.

If you would like to try this drink at home, my general rule of thumb is one part vodka and two parts grapefruit juice. This, of course, is left to the discretion of the person pouring the drink. The next time you are at a bar and have no idea what to order, give it a try! Just be safe -- it tastes more like grapefruit juice than vodka.

No comments:

Post a Comment