Thursday, June 10, 2010

Miso Shrimp with Couscus

Last week at the impulse section of the grocery store I picked up Food & Wine Magazine. I have casually read the magazine before, but never with an intent to attempt to recreate dishes or expand my culinary horizons.

The first recipe I tried from the magazine was Miso Shrimp. I chose this recipe because I still have a tub of miso from my miso soup craving. The other ingredients include vegetable oil, graded ginger, minced garlic, lime juice, and brown sugar. Use 2-3 tablespoons of each ingredient. Whisk these ingredients together and marinate the shrimp for a few minutes (no longer, because the acidity from the lime juice will cook the shrimp (similar to a ceviche).

The recipe also called for a dipping sauce using mayonnaise and an ingredient called sambal oelek. I believe sambal oelek is a chili paste, so I substituted it for always reliable siracha sauce.

I served it over couscus with a baked potato. I was really impressed by the combination of flavors. I have never used miso in this manner, and I intend to look into ways to incorporate the ingredient in other dishes.

This dish was delicious and easy to prepare. Try it out!

1 comment:

  1. You can bake eggplant (sliced down the middle in the skin) with a miso glaze.... DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete